One of the cornerstones of the Mediterranean diet.
An essential condiment.
Obtained according to PDO specifications.
TYPES AND WEIGHTS
Codes: from 1274
Olio extra vergine d’oliva Cilento DOP shop online with 100×100 Italia, your point of reference for Italy’s typical quality products.
We deliver quickly and safely to most of Europe thanks to a capillary and tested network.
Our flagship products include extra virgin olive oil, a cornerstone of the Mediterranean Diet.
Extra virgin olive oil Cilento DOP online shop, the products
On our official website you will find Cilento extra virgin olive oil PDO.
The products are available in cans of 1, 3 and 5 litres and in glass bottles of 0.25; 0.50; 0.75 and 1 litre.
The extra virgin olive oil, depending on the type of product, is obtained by pressing olives of the Pisciottana, Frantoio, Leccino or Ogliarola varieties, typical of the Cilento area and all included in the PDO specifications.
Cilento DOP extra virgin olive oil online shop, characteristics
Cilento DOP extra virgin olive oil is straw yellow in colour when consumed.
It possesses good vivacity and intensity.
It is often clear, sometimes cloudy.
It is characterised by a slight hint of fruitiness, sometimes with notes of apple and green leaf.
It has a mild and delicate taste of fresh olive, sweet with lively notes of barely perceptible bitterness and spiciness.
The degree of acidity is always below 0.70 per cent.
Cilento PDO extra virgin olive oil online shop, the cultivation of olives
Cilento PDO extra virgin olive oil is the result of harmonising modern processing technologies with a thousand-year-old tradition.
Particular attention is paid to the different stages of harvesting, transport and storage of the olives.
According to the PDO specification, the olives must be harvested strictly by hand.
Mechanical aids such as shakers and vibrating combs are allowed.
Nets may only be used to make harvesting operations more comfortable.
Harvesting must take place by 31 December each year.
The maximum olive production is 110 quintals per hectare.
The maximum oil yield is 22%.
The olives must be pressed within 48 hours of harvesting.
Cilento DOP extra virgin olive oil online shop, the production area
The production and processing area of Cilento DOP extra virgin olive oil includes 62 municipalities located in the southern part of the province of Salerno.
They are all within the Cilento and Vallo di Diano National Park and are characterised by the presence of centuries-old olive trees.
Cilento extra virgin olive oil PDO online shop, protection and controls
The Protected Designation of Origin “Cilento” was recognised pursuant to EC Regulation No 2081/92, with EC Regulation No 1065/97 (published in the Official Gazette No L 156/97 of 13 June 1997). National recognition took place by Ministerial Decree of 6 August 1998, published in GURI No 193 of 20 August 1998, together with the annexed Production Specification.
The authorised certifying body is Agroqualità.
Cilento PDO extra virgin olive oil, benefits
Its special characteristics make extra virgin olive oil one of the fundamental foods of the Mediterranean Diet.
But what are the benefits of extra virgin olive oil?
– Extra virgin olive oil is good for the heart and cardiovascular health because it is rich in monounsaturated fatty acids;
– It reduces the risk of thrombosis, strokes, heart attacks and neoplasms;
– An ally against diabetes: reduces the risk of blood sugar spikes after meals;
– Analgesic and anti-inflammatory: olive oil contains the molecule oleocanthal. This has the same effect on our bodies as ibuprofen;
– Helps the intestine: it is highly digestible and has beneficial effects on the stomach and intestine due to its laxative properties;
– Perfect for any diet: it is the condiment with the best fat balance and is a concentrate of vitamins and minerals;
– It keeps cholesterol under control;
– Has anti-ageing properties on the skin because it is a natural source of vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant that protects cell membranes against ageing processes;
– An ally against skin cancer thanks to the presence of squalene;
– Elixir of life: it contributes to a longer life expectancy. Countries where it is consumed most (Italy and Greece) have a longer average life expectancy than other countries;
– Cosmetic properties: olive oil is also famous for its anti-frizz properties on the hair. In addition, compresses of pure olive oil release antioxidant, emollient and nutrient components that are absorbed by the body and circulated, giving well-being to the whole person.
Cilento PDO extra virgin olive oil, how to store it
Olive oil should be stored in cool, dry places.
It should be kept away from heat sources.
It is a good habit to always close the bottle after use.
Cilento PDO extra virgin olive oil, history
The history of Cilento is closely linked to that of the Cilento because we are talking about a product that strongly characterises the landscape and is also one of the most important resources of the local populations.
Historical studies have documented the presence of oil as far back as the 4th century BC.
According to tradition, the first plants were introduced by the Focesi settlers, refugees of Greek origin who introduced the Pisciottana, the oldest variety of olive tree.
It has unique characteristics: particularly resistant to the salty winds of the area and high productivity even in an arid environment like the Cilento one.
Cilento PDO extra virgin olive oil, the studies of Ancel Keys
Ancel Keys, the famous American nutritionist and father of the Mediterranean Diet, was the first to recognise the importance of extra virgin olive oil in the daily diet.
Keys attributed it a fundamental role because its consumption reduces serum cholesterol, improves the functionality of the cardiovascular system, and protects the body from serious alterations thanks to the presence of phenolic substances.
Cilento PDO extra virgin olive oil, its use in cooking
How we can use extra virgin olive oil:
– Raw seasoning: it is perfect for seasoning raw. It enhances the food it comes into contact with and brings out the flavour of all the ingredients.
We choose different types of oil depending on the type of recipe.
The delicate EVO oil brings out the aromas and flavours of the dish.
EVO oil with more intense aromatic, fruity or spicy notes gives character to every recipe;
– Short cooking: olive oil is perfect for all types of cooking thanks to a high smoke point (195°-198°C). In short cooking, olive oil holds up well to temperatures without overpowering the taste and aroma of other foods;
– Long cooking: the content of monounsaturated fatty acids, which degrade more slowly, combined with antioxidant substances, makes EVO oil able to withstand prolonged cooking. All characteristics that make this product perfect for making ragouts, first courses, soups, full-bodied meat dishes and stewed vegetables;
– Frying: here too it is the high smoke point that comes to our aid. Domestic frying never exceeds 160°-180°C. The safety margin is definitely high, if we consider that the smoke point of EVO oil is 195°-198°C. Ideal, therefore, for battered vegetables, Chips, fish rings and much more;
– Baking: perfect for baking, EVO oil reads high temperatures and enriches the flavour of any dish;
– Cake preparation: substituting oil for butter results in lighter, fluffier, more fragrant and more digestible products. Usually 100 grams of butter is equivalent to 80 grams of evo oil.